The United States Pharmacopeia (USP) is the official authority in setting standards for all prescription and over-the-counter medicines, dietary supplements, and other healthcare products manufactured and sold in the United States. Founded in 1820, the USP is an independent not-for-profit public health organization and is committed to developing public standards to help assure good quality in medicines, healthcare delivery, dietary supplements, and related products and practices.
USP – Verified Dietary Supplements
The USP – Verified Dietary Supplement Program conducts testing on dietary supplements to ensure the integrity, purity, dissolution, and safe manufacturing of products on the market.
- Integrity – assures that the contents declared on the label are in fact in the bottle
- Purity – the supplements do not contain any harmful levels of contaminants
- Dissolution – the supplements will break down and release ingredients in the body
- Safe Manufacturing – good manufacturing practices are used when making supplements
USP standards are enforceable by the FDA. Testing is voluntary and is available to all interested manufacturers. A USP – Verified Dietary Supplement certification seal is displayed on all verified products and a list of all certified products is available on www.usp.org.
USP scientists conduct testing on supplement products in well-equipped laboratories; third party auditors are used to perform on-site inspections of the manufacturing facilities. Auditing includes evaluation of the manufacturers:
- Quality control measures
When testing supplement products, marketplace samples are used to ensure ingredient strength and stability over shelf life.
- Inspect manufacturing facility
- Label Review – to identify whether a product meets all the standards required by FDA regulations and whether the products ingredients are as claimed on the label
- Test contents for quantity of ingredients
- Test contents for contaminants
- Test contents for dissolution
- Open to all manufacturers
- Voluntary participation
- Fee paid for testing
USP Contact Information
Address U.S. Pharmacopeia
12601 Twinbrook Parkway
Rockville, MD 20852-1790, USA
Telephone Number (301) 881-0666
1 (800) 227-8772
Email cust[email protected]